Wednesday, November 18, 2009

CUCALORUS!!

This past week was the Cucalorus film festival which was awesome. This is my first year as a full film major so it was the first year that I was able to get a pass for cucalorus and while I was out of town for part of it, I still got to enjoy a number of films.

I would have to say though that my favorite one was “TiMER.” It was the second to last one that I saw and was screened on Sunday. Its probably what I would call a romantic comedy but of course had a little drama thrown in but that’s what keeps it so entertaining right? the story of TiMER is that its about a woman who is about to turn 30 and is in search of her soul-mate. Well, in this story, everyone has the option to have a timer put on their arm. The timer is a count down clock counting down to the day that the person will meet their soul mate. The only problem with main character Oona’s clock is that its blank, meaning that her soul mate has yet to get a count down clock yet. She goes through the film dating men without counters and convincing them to get a timer, each time getting disappointed when theirs start counting down and hers remains blank. She soon meets a younger man who has a timer in which he only has about 4 months left when she meets him. However she begins to fall for him and that’s when the story really takes off. I don’t want to reveal anymore but it was a really good film, definitely my favorite of the ones that I saw at Cucalorus.

Another screening that was really interesting was “the square.” I had tried to see this film on I think Thursday but the film didn’t play right so they ended up just playing shorts that night. I did get to see it on Sunday though. It was definitely a film unlike any other I have ever seen. It was really interesting and definitely was one that kept me on the edge of my seat trying to see what would happen next. The best part of this screening though was probably at the end. The director had been there and was planning on doing a q and a for the Thursday screening but since it had to be changed to Sunday, he had to leave before the it was able to be screened. However, they did still hold a q and a with the director. They called him and put him on speaker through the microphone so the audience still could ask him questions about the film and we could all hear his answers.

Cucalorus this year was so much fun that I already am excited about next year. There were some great films made by some great filmmakers and im sure next year will be awesome too. I just think that being able to be so involved this year was a great experience and it was a great opportunity to see films that otherwise I would have never had the opportunity to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment